Wednesday, September 26, 2018

And We Wonder Why Victims Don’t Come Forward


Just 12 hours ago, President Donald Trump posted the following statement on Twitter, his preferred forum of communication:

/Users/carolstojinski/Desktop/Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.48.24 PM.png

 

Donald Trump is referring to the alleged sexual assault that took place approximately three decades ago, where Christine Blasey Ford was victimized by Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee.

President Trump, who has no training in the fields of medicine, sociology, psychology, or psychiatry, seems to feel strongly enough about his understanding of the female reaction to sexual assault to make inflammatory, victim blaming statements on a public forum. SHEESH I WONDER WHY VICTIMS ARE SO AFRAID TO COME FORWARD!

As a survivor of sexual assault, and I choose to write sexual assault rather than “rape” most of the time because that word seems to make my bones cringe every time I associate it with myself, I cannot imagine the strength it takes to come forward not only to the entire nation, but to the entire world. While I chose not to press charges or draw attention to myself out of fear and self-blame, I applaud all women who feel the strength and empowerment to come forward; I don’t care how many decades later it is. They give me strength to speak my truth. They empower me to be proud of the woman I’ve become.

Coming forward is much more complex than most people can comprehend. Victims weigh all consequences in their minds when the question of who to tell hangs in the balance. Will my dad look at me differently? Will they find out I was drinking? Will people call me a slut even though I said no? Will he tell everyone at school what I look like underneath my clothes? Will this affect my career? Sometimes staying silent and suffering alone seems a lot easier when the questions begin to run through our minds.

In short, there was a time in my life when these comments filled me with anger. And while it still ignites a passion deep within me to defend whichever victim they are blaming today, it saddens me more than anything. We are in the year 2018, and not only can people still not keep their hands to themselves, they also seem to think that revealing an intimate, violent act should be as simple as ordering food off grubhub. The victim blaming has to stop, whether its questioning the validity of an accusation due to delayed reporting or interrogating victims about their prior sexual behaviors. When you take your teenager shopping, do you blame them for breaking a fragile vase with a sign that says “do not touch” underneath of it? Or do you blame the vase for being too fragile?


                                                                                                                                            Carol Stojinski 
                                                                                                                                             DUCOM 2019