Thursday, March 4, 2021

Miscarriage: The deafening silence that follows

I remember like it was yesterday. The tiny fingers that curled up into fists, fists literally clinging onto life. The tiny baby was delivered at 22 weeks, a stillborn. I was helping with the delivery and was able to cut the umbilical cord. Never would I imagine my first time cutting the cord would be in this situation. I remember hearing the mother’s pain through her screams and tears. As the healthcare providers, we helped in the delivery and aftercare of the labor. Afterwards, I was struck how there was no discussion or conversation with the mother who just lost her child. We closed the doors after the delivery and in turn closed the door on the traumatic experience that just occurred. I remember when my aunt herself had a miscarriage. Her family and friends all empathized with the loss but could not understand why my aunt was still feeling sad and depressed after many months after the incident. I saw my aunt spiral into a deeper depression as she could not find any support after miscarriage. Unfortunately, these are not isolated reactions to miscarriage in society.

            Miscarriage is one of the most common complications of pregnancy, occurring around 15% of all clinically recognized pregnancies. One in four women experience miscarriage in their lifetime. Many women following the loss of their child feel grief, sadness, and depression. These mental health issues are only exacerbated by society’s lack of consideration and belief that no loss has occurred. Mental health issues that these childless mothers face are perpetuated in this way. As healthcare professionals, we must do better and continuously monitor our patient’s moods and behaviors following their loss. Mental health services should immediately be offered to women who experience the loss to normalize their feelings and help mitigate any long-term consequences.

Ammarah Spall, MS4

Drexel University College of Medicine